Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Placemat Flag

I am in love with the clearance aisle of many stores, but I especially luvvvvv the 80% off aisle at Hobby Lobby!!! On a recent trip with my mom I spotted these cute little pink placemats...hmmmm $1.36....my wheels went to spinning and then I decided that I could make a new flag for my front flowerbed, so the little pink jewels went home with me!



I used my hot glue gun to glue the top edges together and then leaving enough of a "casing" for the flag pole to fit through, I hot glued the flags together (right underneath the beading in this case). Then I hot glued the sides and the bottom edges together. Next, I traced the big circles on and painted them using white acrylic craft paint. I then used my cricut to cut out my house numbers and traced them on with a pencil. Finally I outlined and painted the numbers in using my paint pen. Added the black outline to the white polka dots. I really like how it turned out! It sure beats the fuhaded flag that was out there and adds a certain pop of color to the front yard!


I will now be scouring all clearance aisles for more colors and adding new flags to my yard...so much more affordable than the 10-20 bucks I see most of them go for!

linking up here:
NightOwlCrafting
The Girl Creative


”Creations



Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!





16 comments:

TheCraftInMe said...

Cute, cute, cute! I wouldn't have thought to turn them into these great looking flags!

Unknown said...

WOW!! Very cute idea.

Kenzie said...

I love your flag! The color is so bright and perfect for summer! Love, Love, Love it!

NicoleD said...

I love the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby, too! I love what you did with your fabulous find. I'm going to add it to my To-Do file!

Cassie Patel said...

Very creative, resourceful and frugal. I will be making one of these this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS! I am so excited. I think I could actually handle doing this craft! I must go to hobby lobby now.

Unknown said...

PS I'm now a follower!

MeenyMoe said...

Love this idea! I have a couple of these garden flag holders and I can't afford to go buy new ones. But using placemats for a flag?! Awesome!!! Thanks for being so creative and sharing that great idea with us all! -Karen

Mickey said...

Love garden flags, so I am always changing mine out. What a great idea! So much better to have a personalized one.
mickey

Object of Maya*ffection said...

i L O V E this idea! I have been thinking about making once of these outta burlap BUT this version is so much cuter! And I just saw a solid version of the mat @ Dollar Tree last night (in lime green and turquoise) but couldn't think of anything to make with them. Thanks for the FAB inspiration!

Coley said...

Love this idea!! Getting ready to move into a new home and am bookmarking this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Leslie said...

Oh girl that is so stinkin' adorable! I need one for my flowerbed ASAP! So so cute! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Leslie said...

I featured this cute project on Hoo's got talent this week! Feel free to grab a I've got talent button!

Eileen said...

Saw your posting on Who's Got Talent...great idea!

SarahJarnagin said...

What a great idea! I never thought to use a placemat to make a garden flag. I'm in need of some cute new garden flags too!

Felicia said...

Seriously?! You amaze me! Genius! I may have to steal this idea from you if I ever decide to "get crafty"!

Photobucket

Swidget 1.0

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails